COVID-19 Information

As we work together to battle the coronavirus, we will continue to offer safe instruction in the classroom. The American Indian Studies office(s) are open, and working in accordance with the guidelines recommended by CDC and the university, and we are continuing to provide student, staff, and faculty assistance. If you need further assistance we can be reached Monday-Friday 8am-5pm Mountain Standard Time at 520-626-8143, or by email to

Get COVID-19 updates and information for the University of Arizona community. Also, see SBS resources regarding instruction and learning.

Pre-Travel Guidelines

  • Travel Authorization
    • Before booking a flight or traveling please make sure to submit a travel authorization with the exact dates and all destinations to be traveled to.  The form can be found at the following website (click under "T" and search for  “Travel Authorization Form”):
    • Travel Authorizations are NOT signed by the traveler. Only by the Department Head or Business Manager at the bottom of the form.
      • The only case in which the Travel Authorization requires signature from the traveler is in case of Travel Advances.
      • All travel advance requests must be submitted with a filled out Travel Authorization form no later than 2 weeks prior departure.  No travel advances will be issued with less than a two week notice under any circumstance. 
      • Remember that upon arrival you have two weeks to report back to the business center in order to create a Travel Expense Report.  Failure to do so will result in FSO automatically withdrawing the total amount of your advance from your bank account to which the advance was deposited.
    • The Traveler is responsible for his/her own Travel Authorizations, please do not assume the department will submit a travel authorization on your behalf.  Failure in submitting a Travel Authorization prior your trip may result in denial of a travel expense reimbursement.  In such case the Department is not held responsible for reimbursement.
    • All Travel Authorizations need to be submitted to the Business Center for appropriate signature approvals
  • International Travel
    • ALL International Travel requires a minimum of 30 days notification. 
    • In addition to the Travel Authorization Form, you must register your trip through Terradotta at:
      • Upon finishing the registration on Terradotta you will receive an “International Travel Registry Number” that you will need to put the Travel Authorization form.
      • Please review the status of your International Travel on Terradotta.  It is the traveler's responsibility to make sure all information has been submitted correctly in the system including the “Additional Questionnaire”
    • If you are traveling to a foreign country please make sure to verify if the country is a travel warning country.  You can do so by visiting the following website:
    • If the destination is a travel warning country you must additionally submit a “Travel Supplemental Authorization Form for Travel Warning Areas” found at:
    • Thus for Travel Warning Areas you will submit a 1) Travel Authorization, 2) Supplemental Travel Authorization, 3) Terradotta registration including the “supplemental questionnaire” and  be sure to check the status of your travel paperwork.
  • Know your Per Diem and Hotel Allowance
    • Hotels cannot be paid via P-Card.  Before booking you lodging make sure to know your maximum allowance for hotels.  You can find this by city (or county for those smaller cities) at:
    • If you will book a hotel at the site of a conference then you are allowed to go over the maximum lodging allowance BUT you must provide documentation that the conference was at the hotel you lodged.  Failture to adhere to Per diem allowances will result in partial reimbursement for lodging (reimbursement up to only the maximum allowed per diem).
    • Per Diem is not allocated on the bases of the days of your travel but on the time of departure and arrival from your trip.  For example, if your travel starts at night you will only receive per diem for dinner and not for all 3 meals. 
  • Booking your flights
    • If you would like for the department to pay your airfare in advance instead of receiving a reimbursement we advise for you to go through Herod Travel Services
    • Be aware that your flight will not be authorized unless a Travel Authorization has already been submitted to the Business Center
College of Social and Behavioral Sciences